Work-life balance is flavour of the month. Everyone's talking about it. Some claim to have it, others are working towards it. And firms are developing policies around it.

So what's all the hype about and how do we share in it? Here's a blog that hopes to help you figure out your personal path to balancing the burden of work with the whole point of being on this wonderful spinning rock: living!

15 October 2008

Getting a life!

I remember my graduate days in the office, where every Friday night the whole firm would go for drinks at the bar across the street. The first time I went, it was interesting. The second time, mildy amusing. But then... I got over it!

Since that time, whenever I politely decline an invitation to watch my inebriated coworkers covort with each other, I am considered the anti-social one. The words "come on, have a life" were even used once. Hmm... I see how it works now: wanting to spend time with one's family, or reading a good book about life experiences that I could never have, or shopping with the girlfriend, playing with my dog or just hanging out on my own listening to old CDs... none of these things qualifies a a "life" in the eyes of my dedicated coworkers. Clearly the only real way to get the most out of life is to spend time drinking with people you work with for up to 15 hours a day!

Get a life? Thanks for the option, but I'd rather not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your comments remind me of a quote from Thoreau:

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."